Pages

Friday, January 14, 2011

Broken Record....

I know I sound like a broken record when I say -- "It's cold in my house!"
So, I will post a picture so that you can see exactly how I cope.See the weird looking thing in the corner of the picture ....that is my space heater -- the greatest creation for cold winter days.
If you don't mind I will explain how I cope....
Step 1 - Dress in many layers, even when it is time for bed. This includes long-johns, sweatpants, a long sleeve shirt, a sweatshirt, and two layers of socks (preferably the ones used for camping - they are warmer). Beanies are optional.
Step 2 - Put a little fan next to your space heater. As strange as this may sound it actually circulates the heat. Close the door to your room so the heat won't get out.
Step 3 - Use the bathroom, get a snack, and do whatever else you need to do in the rest of the chilled house, because once you get in your bedroom you aren't going to leave.
Step 4 - When getting ready to sleep, grab extra blankets. My bed consists of layers - layer one - flannel sheets, layer two- my Louisiana Tech blanket, layer three- a thin quilt-like blanket, layer four - a thicker comforter, and layer five - a fleece blanket. Works like a charm.

On the occasion that you have to use the bathroom, or get a class of water, run like crazy and avoid sitting on the toilet seat it's frozen at this point. Be quick.
Now when it is time to get up and get ready for work you have to mentally prepare yourself to brace the cold- no worries, by the time you dress after your shower you'll be warm again.

That my friends is how to cope with a house that actually stays at 17 degrees inside, when it is 17 degrees outside. I've actually seen my breath once when I've opened the door to the spare bedroom that does not have a space heater.

1 comment:

Laura Beech said...

Hi! Looks good. You need to add the follow widget so people can follow your blog. You can change it the setting page.