Pages

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Penne Spinach Pasta


To all seven of my faithful followers: I apologize for the delay in posting something new. I have been slightly overwhelmed with life at the moment, but I wanted to add something to my pile of posts. So, I give you a recipe. I found this recipe online and modified to my liking. It is a bit on the spicy side - but what New Orleans girl doesn't like spice?

Penne Spinach Pasta

Ingredients :
1 pkg. penne pasta (or orza pasta)
2 tbsp. olive oil
bacon bits (real ones)
I can diced tomatoes (I used the diced tomatoes and green chilies combo- just gives it a kick)
I bunch of baby spinach, rinsed and torn into bite size pieces
2 tbsp minced garlic
pinch of basil
pinch of cayenne pepper
chopped onion ( I just used a little bit because I don't like a lot of onions in my meals)
grilled chicken (I marinated chicken strips in Italian seasonings ahead of time)

Directions:
1. Bring a large pot of water of lightly salted water to a boil, add pasta - cook 8-10 minutes.
2. Meanwhile sautee onion and minced garlic. Add bacon bits after about 2 minutes. Then add the basil, and cayenne.
3. Add can of tomatoes to sauteed onions and seasonings, cook until heated through.
4. Place torn spinach in a colander and drain pasta over it. Transfer pasta and spinach to a large serving bowl, then add heated tomato mixture. Toss together. Serve hot and enjoy!

I made this one night and it was very tasty! It was easy and I had everything in the kitchen already. Hope you like it.

No comments: