Pages

Sunday, August 17, 2014

Remembering....

This morning Len Woods preached his last sermon. Diving through Psalm 106, he elaborated on the importance of remembering. Though the past may be painful, mistakes too guilt ridden to warrant memory, one thing remains true: God is faithful and His love endures forever. That is why we need to remember; when we do we find joy and courage not to repeat the same mistakes. It is in those times of reflection we realize that God's love precedes our worst failures. I know I intentionally block memories. I want to forget reality because sometimes it hurts too much. I know that so often I forget my purpose; I forget that I need to bring the good news to a dying people. I know that so often I feel inadequate, but I am reminded that the Holy Spirit speaks through me and uses my inadequacies for God's glory.
I sat there in that pew listening to Len preach about remembering and I got lost down memory lane. I remembered being a shy 18 year old entering North Louisiana for the first time and I was lost. I remember a pastor who liked the Saints and I instantly felt a connection to home. That pastor was Len Woods and I cannot begin to describe how much that man means to me. From my early years in college, I remember Len being warm, friendly, funny, and welcoming. He always made me laugh and treated me like a daughter and I was grateful. I can remember countless times where I would go to church just to sit in his office and gleam a bit of wisdom from him. Len has seen me through some rough times and he always knew the right things to say. As I grew out of college, my friends either moved away or got married. There was a time where I felt a deep loneliness and Len would say, "Dana, you just need to find your Samwise Gamgee for your journey in life." In great analogy form he spoke to my heart and knew the words to make me feel better. I think since that time I have found several people that can fit that "Samwise Gamgee role". I remember sitting at the table with Len and Cindi in their home and talking about ministry, chatting about small groups, and watching Saints games. So, I found myself welcomed into a family. Len has been very much a spiritual father for me and I'll never forget when he had to step in and tell a man to leave me alone. Sure, I'll miss walking into the church office and hearing Len say, "Da - nuh, what you know?" but, I'll not miss the man: this is not goodbye. I've done a lot of remembering, but I can't wait to see what God has in store for the future. I can't wait to see what God is going to do in the lives of Len and Cindi Woods. I know that at the Woods home I can find a connection to home, a family, and lots of laughter. I know that more ministry is to come and I know that more memories will be made.
So, in closing I just want to say, "Thank you, Len for letting the Lord use you in my life. Thank you for teaching me the importance of community. Thank you for being a spiritual father to me. My life is enriched because you are in it. I'm grateful that even in the hard times you remained faithful to God."
Thank goodness this is not a goodbye, but a hello to a new chapter.

No comments: