Pages

Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Aye Shawty, let me holla at ya.


So here I am on my eleven hour drive from  South Carolina to Louisiana flipping through radio station after radio station in a quest to find songs that I can belt out the lyrics and keep me awake. The scan button only led me to slow sappy love songs and unfamiliar tunes. In defeat I decided to stick with rap. Why rap? because it's better than country. Besides it let me bounce to the beat. Growing up in New Orleans may have seasoned me to tolerate this music genre but what I was unprepared for was my lack of knowledge of new ebonic slang. In high school I was always up to date on words like "trippin", "sneak ya", and "frontin" and even had to translate for some people. Yes, this little white girl knew her som' ghetto. The term "shawty" was in no short supply when it came to the rap songs I listened to. "Shawty" had apple bottom jeans in one song, "shawty" is holla - ed at in another, and gets bought drinks in another. I thought who was this infamous "shawty" and how did they end up in a bunch of rap songs?  So when I got home it was time to brush up on my missed years of ebonics. Gone are the days of "my boo" and the dawn of a new era in which girls are referred to as "shawty" is now here. According to the urban dictionary "Shawty" or in plain uncultured terms "shorty" is a term that originated in Atlanta. It is used to refer to a girlfriend, attractive girl, or a fine ass woman. A term of endearment - need I say more? So, with my quest complete and my intelligence slightly heightened from my new found knowledge I felt more adequately prepared to remain a part of the urban world. Next time you see a pretty girl - why don't you holla at det shawty. 

No comments: